It’s been over a year since we jumped off the cliff into the wild wild world of cattle. I’m still trying to describe in 10 words or less what it is exactly that we are doing.
- Are we dairy farmers? No dairy farmer I know would do things the way we are, that’s the one thing I’m certain of.
- Are we beef ranchers? Sort of, I suppose. See #1
- We are value added food farmers. We are focused on wasting nothing our cows provide. We make cheese, butter, premium beef, preserves, pickles and more.
- We are willing guinea pigs – we believe attainable alternatives to an industrial food system are possible. We want to inspire everyone to make considered choices about food to improve not only your health and quality of life, but the local economy and the environment too.
What we can confidently say is that we have given much thought to the future of food and farming and Auburn Meadow Farm is our response.
- We don’t want to be limited to one choice of highly processed fake food.
- We want meat and dairy from cows with names, people who care about them, social lives and natural, healthy accommodations.
- We want to honor our local food history.
- We believe there is such a thing as too big and we want to support alternative small businesses.
We hope to entice you to get active when making food decisions. While it may not always feel like it these days, individuals still have choices and power over the future. This blog is about exploring those choices and adopting the most vibrant, affirming alternatives to eat, purchase, watch and invest our time.