Okay, I spilled the beans right up front in the title, but that doesn’t mean you have to. This recipe is a handy one from Spilling the Beans by Julie Van Rosendaal & Sue Duncan. I learned some slick bean tricks from this book, I highly recommend it if you’re looking to increase the fiber and healthfulness of your food.
Yukon Golds are the creamiest, most buttery variety and will help you want less milk and/or cream and butter. But, any variety will be fine. For the beans, if you need to go stealth, choose a mushy, soft, white bean like canned Cannellini. If you need to be super-stealth, puree your beans first in a food processor.
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold or russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups (500 ml) rinsed and drained canned white beans
- 1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
- 1/4 cup butter, or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cover the potatoes with water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Cook for about 15 minutes, until tender.
- Drain and add the beans, milk, butter, salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher or beat with a hand mixer until you reach the texture you like best.